Friday, September 13, 2013

What it's all about...

Fridays by default are usually always pretty awesome, but today kind of took the cake for me because it was a whole bunch of little awesomes put together to make a nice, day-long full of awesome.  That's a whole lot of awesome in one sentence.

Thursday brought about an excellent mail day in which mine and Tara's Happy10K medals came in.  And you know what that means...medal ceremony time!  I mean...isn't that why people sign up for the these kinds of things and put their bodies through unspeakable misery?  So they can get a medal that totally shoves it in everyone else's face!?

We got into work and I dragged the step stool over to our designated awarding area.  I got too excited to get the ceremony started that I didn't have time to put the music on - I believe the last time we had a ceremony "We are the Champions" was playing.  Yes, we are THOSE kinds of jerks about our achievements.  #notgonnalie

I got up first - they would only let me up on the first rung - but it was high enough for me anyway.  I said a little impromptu speech where I believe I may have thanked everyone in the office for coming out to attend the ceremony (never mind that we made them all come) and then I reminded them that the ceremony was to celebrate Tara and I running 10K and to remind everyone else that they didn't.

CONFESSION: I never really said I was all that humble...

Next up was Tara who insisted on going up to the top rung and she didn't need a speech so I medal-ed here and she proceeded in jumping off the top rung for our jumping picture.  Then followed more jumping pictures...quite a few actually. 

CONFESSION: You can believe I wore that medal the whole day!  I considered putting on all my other medals, but then just went with the Happy 10K one since it does say 10K on it.  I didn't want anyone to forget...

After the medal ceremony, Tara handed me my next Friday Awesomeness.  Last night she made macaroni and cheese casserole and she promised to bring me some and I totally ate it for breakfast because the baby totally insisted.  (Normally, I'd have a picture of the magic that was the mac and cheese casserole, but I ate it so fast I forgot to even take a picture of it.)

Next Friday Awesomeness was our usual "Breakfast Friday" in which we take a break from "running" (at least whatever it is that I'm doing these days) and have breakfast for lunch.  I proceeded to tell myself I earned it because of the medal around my neck and ordered a pancake on the side of my breakfast.  I didn't need to worry about the afternoon's food coma, because let's face it, it's Friday after all. 

Except that when I got back to work, that's not really how it turned out.

Since Teresa left for a one-year stint over at a different department a couple of months ago, we hired her replacement who started the last week of July part-time and then full-time first week of August.  Very shortly after that, I went ahead and announced that I was baking the ultimate bun in my oven and it was kind of a toss-up of what was going to happen to the office since in less than five months, I'd be leaving and the only other person left would be someone whose only been around for about the same amount of time.  (What can I say, I have excellent timing?)

To help out, we decided to hire my replacement immediately instead of a few weeks before I leave so that I can have the most time to train two newbies.  With that said, my replacement has been here for about a week now and it was about time I gave up my desk so she can actually sit in my "station" and be able to use all the equipment that she'll need to actually do the job.  Seeing that it was Friday afternoon, I figured no time like the present to move stations around so that by Monday morning, she'll be all set to go.

Unfortunately, the first step in doing that?  Vacating out of my spot *pouts*

CONFESSION: I was kind of envisioning my desk remaining untouched as kind of like a one-year shrine to me so that when I came back, everything was as I left it. (Also, as a reminder to anyone left behind that I will be coming back and not to dare mess up anything that I've left them with...but apparently, that's a controlling kind of attitude to take.  So I've been told.)

I've never really made it a secret that I considered myself a lifer at my job.  I don't really have super high ambitions or aspirations and I'm not much of a corporate ladder climber.  I like my job and I like to think that I'm pretty darn good at it.  So it wasn't really all that surprising to me when I realized that cleaning out my desk would take a liiiiittle bit longer than I had anticipated.  Let's just say that if zombiepocalypse began that day, I'd be all set to wait out the next civilization.  Apparently, I'm a work-hoarder of epic proportions.  There was no event that I wasn't really prepared for.

Among some of the things that you can't play "Where's Waldo" with in the picture, I found four Starbucks tumblers (I had a Starbucks phase where I liked to walk around with a Starbucks tumbler and my BlackBerry and act superior to other people.  I still do that, I just don't require the Starbucks prop anymore), four pairs of shoes, a resistance band set when I had this moment where I wanted to be able to workout and stay fit anywhere, a can of root beer, two cans of Chunky stew, two boxes of crackers, one box of breadsticks, a bag of chocolate granola, two cartons of almond milk, a collection of dishes and spoons (can't say they were clean *wince*), a bottle each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, two boxes of feminine hygiene products, two bottles of body spray, two sticks of deodorant, floss, toothbrush and toothpaste, an alarming collection of jewelry that I didn't even remember I owned, a bunch of Christmas ornaments that co-workers had given me, a sewing kit, a manicure kit, and a crap ton of mini chocolate bars (some full-sized ones as well), and packets of ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, mustard and the occasional horsey sauce from Arbys.  And those are pretty much the things that you can't see in the picture.

Whatever, zombiepocalypse would have seen me outlasting zombies and emerging from work not starving with really good oral hygiene and smelling lovely while still being quite toned.  In heels, no less!

Anywho, getting myself all packed up and sorted (of things that I needed to take home - which I know for a fact that Bart will NOT appreciate) and things that could stay until I come back, took quite a bit of time so we didn't actually have any time to train for the rest of the afternoon.  Meh, Monday seems like an excellent time to start up again.

She got herself all moved in and proceeded to move everything around that I had left for her.

*Eye twitch*

She like...moved everything.  And re-arranged things. *eye twitch eye twitch eye twitch*

Watching her do it, I had to make sure I covered all my bases.  I reinforced the fact that I have EVERY intention of coming back and should things change where Teresa doesn't come back and she ends up with a full-time position, she best understand that come December 2014, she'll be clearing out this very desk and putting EVERYTHING back where it used to be so that when I come back in January 2015, MY desk is as I left it.  Because it will go back to being MY desk.

Apparently, I have issues.  But you know, can't say that I left things unclear and that there will be any misunderstandings!  Besides those couple of things, I'm sure I'm quite delightful to work with! *LOL*

And that brings about my Friday of Awesomness!  Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...